Sunday, April 14, 2024

Doc Review- Gimme Danger

 Finding unexpected time on my hands, I am watching musical documentaries of which there are an infinite amount 





I decided I better watch Gimme Danger - the story of one of my all time favorites- Iggy Pop and the Stooges. I am not sure how serious you can take the Stooges but they legitimately are near the top for me- with their crude ramshackle and yet perfect three albums. And directed by my favorite indie movie maker Jim Jarmusch. 


And it was great. I am not sure it has Jarmusch’s minimalism but there can be few complaints. The animation to go with Iggy’s wild stories is perfect. The interview with Iggy is one of his most engaged ever. 


The doc covers all the important stuff. The bands early days- a listing of their influences- the Ventures, the Sonics and Harry Partch. It also covers the band’s deep younger sibling relationship with the MC5. 


In a moment that has come to stand out from the doc, Iggy says he doesn’t like to be classified as a punk. But it’s part of a bigger declaration that he doesn’t want to be grouped in with anything. This shows up in the early days of the Stooges where he decides to go an alternate route to the MC5s Political rock. 


The band go to New York and flesh out an album. Not wanting to be pigeonholed, they record the mantra “We will Fall” for the first album and add jazz sax to the second. Cale and Nico are huge influences working with the band, but Elektra’s excitement ends when Fun House is released. 


Bowie is Iggy’s savior but the addition of Tony DeVries- a manager in the style of Colonel Tom Parker and boy band scammer Lou Perlman is catastrophic. Iggy is able to bring the Stooges to the UK and the addition of guitarist James Williamson is inspired. 


It all takes a toll on the Stooges who just want to go home and bassist Dave Alexander dies at age 27. Williamson and Iggy record a new album (Kill City) but a list of possible promoter invites like Art Garfunkel all decline. 


Sadly, most of the Stooges have died, but Jarmusch has all the right guests to interview. Metallic KO and the early Williamson songs like “I Got A Right” get rightfully covered as does the often played Cincinnati 1970 tv news segment where Iggy goes into the crowd and then smears himself with Peanut Butter. 


There isn’t enough room for cover all of Iggy but the doc does a good job of tracking the other post- Stooges work - Ron Asheton in The New Order and Destroy Allen Monsters, Scott Asheton in Sonic’s Rendezvous Band and most famously and bizarrely, Williamsln in Silicon Valley - not a band but a tech career. 


I know the Stooges reunion doesn’t get a lot of press these days - but it makes an interesting story and is covered well here - originating and coordinating mostly by J Mascis and Mike Watt first via the Todd Haynes movie Velvet Goldmine then via collaboration with Ron Asheton and then lastly with record company pressure for Iggy to make an All Star album (but Iggy decides asks who are bigger stars than the Stooges). 


The reunion ironically taking a similar path as the original when Ron passed away and again James Williamson stepping in to the new lineup. The band is inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. Jarmusch then features the many followers- The Sex Pistols, Dead Boys, Damned, Sonic Youth and so on. 


The two reunion albums are covered here but generally critics reviled 2007s The Weirdness and liked 2013s Ready to Die is liked, though my opinion was the opposite. 


As a Stooges fan I loved it but even from the perspective as a documentary in itself, it’s top tier- well paced, fun and funny, emotionally touching when it should be. With all the right people- Iggy, Williamson, reunion Stooge Mike Watt, Fun House era Stooge Steve MacKay, Asheton sister Kathy (Ron had passed but footage is used), early Stooges (and later Ramones) manager Danny Fields. 


Criticism that there’s not enough coverage of Raw Power or of solo Iggy’s Berlin years may be valid but I feel it was appropriate to focus on what Jarmusch chose. I loved hearing about the early days of the band, the Fun House sessions and the lives of the non - Iggy Stooges. 


As a personal aside, I acquired Metallic KO (the 1976 version not the updated twelve track reissue) and Kill City from a friend who discarded it. The crowd baiting live performance Metallic KO is legendary and I think it’s peak punk rock. 


I used to think Kill City was a flop album (and was treated as such anyway) but it does sound better these days in the context of a mature almost post punk (though conceived in 1975) sensibility. Some rock critics even elevate it to classic status. I won’t go that far though it’s a decent start to end listen 


I feel I must add one more personal antidote that is important not only to my Iggy fandom but also my life in general


I was in the next generation of American hardcore punk (born in the early 70s). It belonged to the preceding class - the “older brothers” born in the late 60s. 


My friend’s older brother was the knowledgeable punk of the town and sadly, he passed away at a young age. 


From the younger sibling, I borrowed, ‘dubbed’ and adored two cassettes. One was a collection of hardcore punk now-classics like “institutionalized”, “ Mommy, Where’s Daddy” and Flipper’s “Ha ha ha”. The other was Iggy Pop. 


That 1983 release of I Got Right by Enigma Records was a mix of seven Stooges outtakes on the A Side and the near entirety of Kill City on the second. The 1987 release that I eventually find and own, cuts two songs off both sides. 


I have heard many postulate that the tape recorder must have been present every time the Stooges picked up their instruments. I may have lost track of all the recordings I have bought by the band. But one worth mention is Heavy Liquid- released in various permutations-notably in a 2005 six disc set


I wouldn’t change Raw Power but those “lost” (and yet readily found) tracks like “I Got A Right”, “Tight Pants” which eventually became “Shake Appeal”, “Scene of the Crime” are really among the most extreme songs of all time- influencing punk and metal.


No comments:

Post a Comment