Tuesday, April 16, 2024

90s…Whatever: Matt Keating

love to write about music and I want to include all matters of records, maybe even great albums  that got miscategorized.


There is no doubt, Matt Keating should be in the initial batch. Even his allmusic profile seems like a bit of a slap in the face. Accurate as it may be, it paints a picture of Keating at the same level in the 90s as budding singer-songwriter like Elliott Smith and Mark Kozelek (I might throw in labelmate Mark Eitzel as well) except he never took off.


I realize "underrated" and "unheard" are subjective. Someone like Freedy Johnston probably fits that, but at least there are a fair amount of people who have heard him.


Keating's first two albums are incredibly strong. I pick Scaryarea as my favorite because I really love it but Tell it to Yourself is also good.


Allmusic damns Scaryarea to 2.5 stars and stops reviewing him after his fourth record- 2002s Tilt A Whirl. Probably not surprising that the attention dropped off after his last album with Alias Records- 1997s Killjoy.   


It does occur to me that I do think I have Killjoy in my CD storage. 


It also occurred to me that I should see what Keating has been up to, and he has 12 albums listed on his website. The most recent being re-recordings of Alias material appropriately called Greatest Misses which was released in 2019. 


The album before that was 2015s The Perfect Crime. I have dropped the needle on some of it and I don’t share the enjoyment of the hype on his press release page, but Keating still strikes me as someone who could have more great albums in him. 


I am probably not doing a good job here of expressing how much I do love his first two albums. I can only imagine the difficulty in his career was tied to the Rise and Fall of Alias Records - which went from these weird (but great) bands like X Tal and Hypnolovewheel to a point where they were launching bands like American Music Club and Yo La Tengo to major labels. 


I recently thought of Keating again when talking about the College Music Journal Presents Ten of A Kind- a stab at capturing the best unsigned bands in 1988. That compilation has one bona fide success (Material Issue) some almost famous bands (Gunbunnies, Paul K and the Weathermen) and some ‘never was’. 


The best song on there (outside of the brilliant pop song “Valerie Loves Me”) is by a Boston band called Circle Sky, whose credits make it clear is a vehicle for Keating. 


Anyway, I am glad that every couple of years or so, he comes back to mind and I get these records out again. Scaryarea is (no hyperbole) an all time favorite of mine. . If you like smart songwriter pop, look him up. 




No comments:

Post a Comment