Tuesday, September 24, 2024

What I am Listening to - The Beatles - The White Album- Esher Demos

It’s been a year and a half since I cleaned out my mom’s house and I detailed some of the records I had found. 

Now, I am doing the same thing again, though not without help from others this time, for a family friend. And one of the perks was finding the 2016 White Album/Escher Demos box set and the Springsteen autobiography Born to Run. The box isn’t in enough shape to resell and it’s one of those pieces that would have a nice return but I just would have wound up wanting to listen to it anyway. 

 I have spoken about the Beatles at length. But I do remember a couple of years in college where I started the Fall by buying a new a CD. I remember just two of these, but one was Revolver and one was the White Album. The Esher Tapes were from my understanding recorded at George Harrison’s place in May of 1968 as a precursor to the White Album- with nearly half of the compositions from John, but also some, of course from Paul and George. I always enjoyed the variety of the White Album which feels like a true album of songs and not a collection of singles. The band seems to enjoy bringing the songs together on these Esher demos. 

Like the Vanilla Tapes that formed The Clash’s London Calling, I am super interested in hearing them, but I also imagine that I will not necessarily revisit them much in the future. However, the sound quality of the Vanilla Tapes were a detriment On the Esher Tapes they are presented in pretty high quality. So, it is possible, in any case, I look forward to spending some time with them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment