Thursday, September 26, 2024

An Appreciation - The Four Tops

88 year old Duke Fakir passed away last month meaning all of the original Four Tops are now gone. 

I knew Fakir was still touring the group when I read a review I think from the Guardian a few years ago. Fakir performed up until two days before his death which means he was a Four Top for 70 years The band will continue led by Ronnie McNeir who took over for Levi Stubbs in 1999 and sang with them since. 

I think most of us love the Motown (and similar sounding soul) bands but the Four Tops were really the pinnacle for me. They legitimately are one of my favorite musical artists of all time. The Funk Brothers were the backing band as they were for most every big Motown hit you can name. Holland-Dozier-Holland were the songwriting team and although they wrote for many artists, they are particularly known for writing for the 4 Tops and the Supremes. 

This may be some subliminal suggestion but Billy Bragg had a song called Levi Stubbs’s Tears and I truly think Levi was an amazing unique frontman. The band’s most famous songs are “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)” and “Reach Out (I’ll Be There)” and they are fantastic songs. But so many of their hits are great. Stubbs always sounded like he was singing about the most important thing. “Bernadette” with its false finish, “Standing in the Shadows of Love” with its juxtaposition of urgent rhythm and the desperation of "Seven Rooms of Gloom", Stubbs signing his heart out on these essential songs. 

 If anything, I love the Motown essentials, but I know the band released music until the late 1980s. Though I consider myself a Rock Guy, an indie music fan, the Four Tops are always on my listening menu. Though they predate the “album” era, Second Album is remarkably solid with the recognizable songs on side one and a nice enjoyable second side of songs that don't get played on the radio.. At this point, it looks like the band will continue on led by Lewis McNeir who replaced Stubbs in 1999 and has had a strong musician and producer career on his own. 

 1966 - Motown 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment