Friday, August 2, 2024

Real Estate- Daniel

The local public radio station has been playing songs from Daniel the new album by long time indie band Real Estate and I have been digging it. 

The band released their debut in 2009 and to my ears, they feel very much like the bands of that time like Death Cab for Cutie and the Shins. I never really took notice of them until their last album 2020s The Main Thing had a song featured on an Uncut sampler and I liked it quite a bit. 

Many reviews of this album mention REM. It’s not a perfect analogy for me but I think the thread of American indie rock is there. This album definitely reminds me of those Aughts bands with a poppy indie feel that could get chart success- Death Cab and Shins of course, but bigger picture also Vampire Weekend, Deerhunter, Best Coast and Wilco. 

Being their sixth album, it won’t get noticed by the Pitchforks of the world, who move on after bands reach a certain age, and it may not be something for those who like rougher edges, but I think it’s a solid sounding album that I think you will find holds up years for now- even if the radio landscape of the past no longer exists for it to get played on.



No comments:

Post a Comment