Wednesday, June 26, 2024

90s Whatever...... Kramer

 I’m writing about 90s music and just happened to listen to Mark Kramer’s first appearance on a podcast which was for his friend and collaborator Penn Jillette.


Kramer is all over 90s music. His record label Shimmy Disc was the first place many cult bands recorded. His list of bands that he would end up producing include Gwar, King Missile, Galaxie 500, White Zombie, Urge Overkill, Daniel Johnston, Low, Naked City, Ween and Half Japanese.

He was half of Bongwater with Ann Magnuson. A group that was one of the weirdest bands on Earth and yet somehow broke through via college radio and cable TV. Their final album 1992s The Big Sell Out is a personal favorite.

That success didn’t really translate to Kramer’s solo career, but for me and my friends, the ambitious 1992 triple Lp The Guilt Trip was as important as the George Harrison album (All Things Must Pass) its cover referenced.

I was in a spot where I could keep up with Kramer’s work. I picked up 1994s The Secret of Comedy and probably should reconsider it. Allmusic gave it four stars and Jillette said it’s one of his all time favorites. I also picked up 1998s Song from the Pink Death.

Allmusic gave that album two and a half stars and I remember thinking it was a bit disappointing but now that I peruse the track list, I notice it’s stuck with me more than I thought.

He also formed a duo with Jillette called Captain Howdy who released albums in 96 and 98. I love the self titled debut which is so quirky with guest spots from Debbie Harry and Billy West of Ren and Stimpy. I either didn’t know or forgot about the second disc.

Kramer had some issues around this time where he got out of music. He went to work for James Randi, the magician and skeptic. In 2006, he announced Second Shimmy and has slowly became once more his prolific self. In 2016 and 2017, he released two albums of Brill Building covers.

In 2020, he relaunched Shimmy and has been busy since with the band/album Let it Come Down being his most high profile album in some time.

He has since collaborated with Pan American, Laraaji, Britta Phillips, Paul Leary, David Grubbs and others.

The podcast was a nice “visit” with Kramer hitting so many aspects of his career. Bongwater being the unmentionable. But covering his time playing with the Fugs, producing Urge Overkill’s big hit “Girl, You’ll Be A Woman Soon” (which Kramer put together while the band passed out) and backing GG Allin in a band with Steve Dasinger and J Mascis (I think these are the tracks on the ROIR album Hated in the Nation)- “We practiced ten songs knowing there was no way we would be performing ten. We didn’t”.



No comments:

Post a Comment