Wednesday, April 3, 2024

What I am listening to: Sam Barber

Now is probably as good of time as any to talk about reality singing competitions.

The discussion for American shows has to start with American Idol. Love it or loathe it, that first season was so huge you couldn’t avoid it. I still keep tabs on these kinds of variety shows. 

The most interesting aspect to me is how The Voice has seemingly overtaken American Idol in popularity. However, Idol still has the unknown to pop star pipeline, while the Voice stars' post-show fame still reminds me kind of a Gong Show word of mouth talent. 

I watched the two seasons of Rockstar which was more my speed. I loved INXS and although I think we would all agree Michael Hutchene cast a Jim Morrison sized shadow, I never faulted the Farris Brothers et al for trying to continue. It did seem doomed from the start, but it was enjoyable. Similarly, the second season supergroup put together by Dave Navarro and Tommy Lee also had an extremely short shelf life. But I watched every episode. I don’t fault bands for trying to gain attention though. 

Take OK Go, an otherwise fantastic power pop band who would be an obscure power pop band if not for their viral videos. And I have to admit of being one of those people who want to hear stuff first. 

I was the right age to pick up CMJs 1988 compilation Ten of a Kind- their picks for the best unsigned artists in the US. And they got Material Issue right so my teenage self would have expected more, that’s probably a better average than they could have hoped. As for the others, the Gunbunnies had some degree of success, though their 1990 debut was also to be their last. Paul K and the Weathermen achieved a cult status and made an album for Homestead in 1992. Circle Sky frontman Matt Keating would end up having a long solo career and made one of my all time favorite records 1994s Scaryarea for Alias 

In any case, I find I don’t fault anyone for going on these shows. The days of Clay and Ruben are long past. Missouri born country singer songwriter Sam Barber gave the American Idol route a try, even making it to Hollywood though Wikipedia says his performance didn’t make it to air. Aged 20 Barber is a bright young talent. Part of that first generation that grew up on Tyler Childers, Chris Stapleton and Zach Bryan (all mentioned frequently in his interviews). 

Barber is a perfect fit into the Bryan-style sound. His debut EP last years Million Eyes had success on country and rock charts. Like Bryan and another recent hitmaker Noah Kahan, it's the current sound that straddles country and post-Mumford and Sons folk- it wouldn't sound out of place on the radio or in some jamband-heavy playlist Early 2024 saw the release of a live EP. He’s playing some middle sized venues around here and his future looks bright.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment